A friendly reminder!
FOR OUR SPECTATORS!
FAIR PLAY: A Spectator’s Role
Everyone involved in sport, from parents and spectators to athletes, officials and coaches, can and should play a part in promoting fair play. And the easiest way to do this is to lead by example; to always respect the written and unwritten rules of the game. It is also essential to learn how to constructively manage stress so that fair play skills and instincts will not be lost in the heat of competition. Here are some examples of how you can incorporate fair play into your sport or recreation activity.
As a spectator, you set the appropriate tone during competition. You can:
· Avoid ridiculing an athlete for making a mistake during competition. Give positive feedback that motivates and encourages continued effort. Remember that children play sport for their own enjoyment, rather than to entertain others.
· Show respect for the coach and the officials, and their decisions.
· Condemn violence and verbal abuse and express your disapproval of such tactics to coaches and league officials.
· Encourage and applaud fair and skillful plays by all participants.
FAIR PLAY CODES FOR SPECTATORS
1. I will remember that children play sport for their enjoyment. They are not playing to entertain me.
2. I will not have unrealistic expectations. I will remember that child athletes are not miniature professionals and cannot be judged by professional standards.
3. I will respect the officials’ decisions and I will encourage participants to do the same.
4. I will never ridicule an athlete for making a mistake during a competition. I will give positive comments that motivate and encourage continued effort.
5. I will condemn the use of violence in any form and will express my disapproval in an appropriate manner to coaches and league officials.
6. I will show respect for my team’s opponents, because without them, there would be no game.
7. I will not use bad language, nor will I harass athletes, coaches, officials or other spectators.
ZERO TOLERANCE for Abuse of our Officials!